We do this by:
Implementing responsible production and sourcing
We work across the sugar supply chain in a range of sugar-producing countries. We help companies to
- develop responsible sourcing guidelines and map their sugar supply chains to the production level. We helped prepare guidelines for Nestlé’s purchasing of cane and beet sugar and developed a standard and auditing protocols for Greenergy, the UK’s largest biofuel supplier, which were approved under the EU Renewable Energy Directive.
- work with their suppliers to implement responsible production practices.
We have provided training and capacity building for Bonsucro, mills and producers by:
- providing training and support to mills and producers to help them meet clients’ responsible sourcing guidelines.
- helping Bonsucro to develop and deliver training courses for auditors and lead auditors in Brazil, Colombia and India, and producers in Bolivia.
- supporting companies’ market teams to understand the principles of responsible sourcing and production.
Supporting multistakeholder initiatives
We bring together private, public and civil society organisations to create outcomes that enable the responsible production and sourcing of sugar. These include: