High Conservation Value assessments
Many sustainability standards for forestry, palm oil, sugarcane and soy production all require that HCVs are maintained or enhanced. These include the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), Roundtable for Responsible Soy (RTRS), and some carbon schemes such as the International Sustainability and Carbon Certification scheme (ISCC). Global retailers, banks, processors and distributors of wood, paper and vegetable oils have also integrated requirements about HCVs into their procurement and investment policies.
What do we do?
We provide consultancy services for producers, purchasers and investors to help them understand and implement the HCV approach. The Proforest team includes practical experts in a wide range of relevant areas, including biodiversity conservation, ecology and anthropology.
We have carried out HCV scoping studies and full assessments for numerous clients across all regions of the world. Our current and previous clients include Olam, Cargill, Tetra Pak, Shell, Pallisco, Wilmar, Yayasan Sabah and GIZ.
Our HCV services for producers include:
- HCV assessments. Our team uses a combination of desk-based research and information collected in the field to identify HCVs present in a specified area.
- HCV management procedures. We help land managers to draw up management plans to maintain or enhance HCVs.
- Monitoring HCVs. Our teams help develop monitoring plans to enable the land manager to check that management practices are effective.
- Training. We provide bespoke training courses for land managers to enable them to apply the HCV approach.
Our supply chain services include:
- Supply chain mapping and risk assessment. We work with purchasers and manufacturers to trace the sources of their palm oil, forest products, soy and other commodities, and undertake risk assessments to identify the suppliers who are likely not to comply with HCV requirements.
- Effective smallholder engagement. We work though producer organisations and companies to help smallholders comply with HCV requirements.
- Investment due diligence. We help financial companies to comply with social and environmental requirements of their policy commitments and lending conditions.