Building on our 20 years of experience working with companies at every stage of the supply chain, we have developed practical and effective ways to put responsible sourcing commitments into practice – our ACRES approach.
In order to deliver socially and environmentally responsible sourcing commitments, companies need to understand where the commodities they buy are produced. This is often complex, as there may be many different stages between farmers and the direct supplier.
We provide support by:
- mapping out these complex supply chains,
- identifying where commodities are produced and
- assessing the risks and opportunities in each origin.
Using this understanding, we then help companies to plan the most effective ways to drive change and reward good practice.
We encourage companies to take action both within and beyond their own supply chains. Within their supply chains, they can act both individually and in collaboration with other supply chain companies to engage suppliers and address issues. Beyond their supply chain they can support landscape or sector initiatives in production origins.
We also help companies to increase transparency and accountability by monitoring and reporting on the progress of their suppliers and the production landscapes they source from.
Find out more by clicking on the diagram below.
Responsible sourcing & production
- Strategy and policy
Strategy and policy
- Strategy captures the company’s overall aspirations and should be regularly benchmarked internally and externally.
- Policies set out responsible sourcing commitments and should reflect the ESG aspirations of the company and the expectations of customers, investors, shareholders, staff and other stakeholders.
- Understand the supply base
Understand the supply base
- Traceability: mapping supply base to understand where production is happening, and which producers /suppliers are involved
- Risk assessment: understanding the risk that commitments not being met places in the supply base
- Plan interventions
To address risks and support positive impacts:
- Plan: Approaches, implementation, KPIs, budget, resources, monitoring and verification
- Prioritisation of action across whole supply base
- Collaboration and alignment: to achieve scale and maximise positive impact
- Engage within and beyond supply chains
Engage within and beyond supply chains
Implement planned actions for volumes, suppliers, landscapes and across the sector:
- Within supply chains: to ensure volumes deliver on policy commitments and suppliers are engaged
- Beyond supply chains: to address issues that can’t be addressed within individual supply chains
- Monitoring and reporting
Monitoring and reporting
Recognise the importance of monitoring progress to ensure actions are effective and progress (or lack of it) is understood:
- Internal monitoring: regular reviews that inform revisions to the strategy and action plan where needed
- Transparency: progress shared publicly to allow all stakeholders to understand and monitor progress
We have applied the five element approach of ACRES to a suite of commodity toolkits
See our work
The Sustainable Coconut Supplier Scorecard
Proforest is working with Barry Callebaut and Nestlé to develop a Sustainable Coconut Supplier Scorecard and Sustainable Origins Assessment Template
Mewah responsible sourcing support
Proforest SEA has been supporting two refineries of Mewah in Peninsular Malaysia for various types of responsible sourcing and sustainability works, ranging from policy review, suppliers engagement and capacity building...
Deforestation risk assessment across the global agricultural supply chain
Tyson Foods partnered with Proforest to conduct a deforestation risk assessment. The assessment concluded that nearly 94 percent of the company’s land footprint is at no to low risk of being associated with deforestation.
Social and Environmental Beef Purchasing Policy
Proforest supported the definition of the positioning of Grupo Pão de Açúcar – GPA (Casino Group) in the deforestation agenda and the revision of its Social and Environmental Beef Purchasing Policy in Brazil.
Deforestation Free Beef Procurement
We have been supporting McDonald’s Corporation since 2017 in developing, piloting, implementing and monitoring of its Deforestation Free Beef Procurement Policy in Argentina, Australia, Brazil and Paraguay as well as developing,...