- Position: Data Specialist
- Type: 6-month position - starting immediately
- Salary: £25–28000 pro rate for the contract term
- Location: open in Proforest regions
- Contact: email@example.com
- Benefits: Proforest is an equal opportunity employer
This is an exciting opportunity for a database administrator to work across a global organisation that is working at the forefront of responsible sourcing and production of agricultural commodities around the world.
Proforest is looking for someone to support the ongoing database management and support an evolving data strategy as we look to upgrade our data infrastructure and ways of working. As the organisation develops its data strategy, there is the potential for a permanent role.
You will be part of the Data & Visualisation team, supporting colleagues in Europe, Southeast Asia, Africa and Latin America, who work across client projects, training and capacity building, internal knowledge sharing. For most clients we were working with data to analyse risks within agricultural commodity supply chains to inform decision-making around responsible sourcing and responsible production.
In addition to an expertise as a database administrator, the ideal candidate will have a keen interest or basic knowledge of agricultural commodity production or broader sustainability issues.
Proforest is a mission driven organisation with a 20-year track record of supporting the transition to sustainable production and sourcing of agricultural and forest commodities. We are a not-for-profit group with a global presence across Europe, Asia, Africa and South America and work with governments, the private sector and civil society to deliver positive social and environmental outcomes in the places agricultural commodities are produced, ranging from protecting forests to recognising the land rights of indigenous peoples to improving conditions for workers.
Our clients are well-known consumer brands, such as Unilever, Nestle, PepsiCo and Mars, retailers such as Target and Ikea and the world’s largest traders and integrated producers including Cargill, Olam, Wilmar and Cofco. We combine our work for companies with longer-term programmes supported by institutional funders such as the UK and German government, and the Global Environment Facility.
- Database administration: Maintaining and expanding the PostgreSQL database, including data backups, assigning credentials, ensuring the right levels of access, including externally
- Data cleaning, responding to queries re. data validation and maintenance
- Regular checks of data quality in main database
- Scripting: Writing, maintaining and updating scripts in Python, used for data cleaning, transformation and reporting
- Maintaining PowerBI dashboards and scorecards for clients
- Partner liaison: Working with external partners to update our database or provide them with updated data for validation
We are looking for the following essential skills:
- In-depth knowledge of SQL, experience with PostgreSQL preferred
- Working knowledge of Azure SQL PaaS
- Advanced Microsoft Excel
- Experience with Heroku and DBeaver
- Intermediate / advanced PowerBI
- Fluent English speaker
- Qualifications level: Diploma or above
The following skills are desirable:
- Smartsheet – used for internal data
- Experience in a consultancy setting would be advantageous
- We also operate in Spanish, Portuguese, and Indonesian Bahasa
Our work environment
Proforest has an amazing global team of highly motivated staff from over 20 countries working out of offices in the UK, the Netherlands, Malaysia, Indonesia, Ghana, Brazil, and Colombia. The UK office is in Oxford with a friendly work environment where colleagues work very collaboratively and also socialise outside of the office. Regular internal exchange events bring together colleagues from all the offices for learning and exchange, ensuring a strong sense of a belonging to a global team. We have encouraged flexible working for many years.
Terms and conditions
- 6-month position, starting as soon as possible.
- Based in one of our regional offices, including Oxford.
- UK salary: £25k – 28k per year, pro rate for the contract term, dependent on experience
- Full time, but we are happy to discuss some flexibility, and home working is an option during restrictions due to Covid-19 restrictions.
Please send a cover letter outlining specific skills required, relevant experience and why you would be a good fit for the role at Proforest, with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 27 July, 2021
Proforest is an equal opportunity employer.