- Position: Project Manager
- Salary: Commensurate with experience
- Location: Kuala Lumpur or Jakarta
This position is for a motivated, dedicated and organised professional experienced in sustainability and natural resources management as part of the Proforest team in Southeast Asia (SEA).
Proforest is a dynamic non-profit organisation with global presence that has established itself as a leader in the development and implementation of sustainable production and sourcing of natural resources including a range of agricultural commodities.
We work at every stage of the supply chain, from production and processing, through to purchasing and investment. Our almost 20 years of experience covers major commodities such as oil palm, soy, sugarcane, timber, pulp & paper, rubber and beef at a range of scales that includes smallholders and local communities through to multinational businesses. We focus on the opportunities for conservation and social benefits within the production landscape, and never lose sight of the need for pragmatic and workable practices. More information on Proforest is available at www.proforest.net
The position is an exciting opportunity to take an executive role in the management and delivery of Proforest’s consultancy services in Southeast Asia and respond to the growing demand for Proforest’s services in the area of sustainable agricultural and forestry commodities. The position is based in either Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia or Jakarta, Indonesia and all applicants are expected to have the necessary rights/permit to work in either of these two locations.
This position involves managing and/or participating in a range of projects, and business development and coordination, related to agricultural and forestry sustainability, particularly in relation to production, sourcing and supply-chain management. This includes providing clients with policy advice, research, training, assessments (including HCV-HCSA Assessment) and other services, tailored to their needs. Recent clients include the Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), Unilever, Nestle, Mondelez, P&G, Cargill, Sime Darby Plantation, KLK and Musim Mas. The post will involve international travel and fieldwork, particularly in the SEA region.
- Manage and deliver projects (consultancy services) for clients. This includes proposal writing, budgeting, project implementation and report writing
- Maintain a clear understanding of the current policy and strategic factors relating to the sustainable management and sourcing of forestry and agricultural commodities
- Build and maintain relationships with key actors such as sustainability initiatives (e.g. the RSPO, Forest Stewardship Council etc.), technical support agencies, civil society and other stakeholders who have an interest in the sustainable production and sourcing of forestry and agricultural commodities
- Contribute significantly to the broader functioning of the Proforest team, including participation in management processes and support for the planning and delivery of other services.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
Essential Qualifications, Experience, Skills:
- Tertiary level qualification in a relevant discipline (e.g. natural resources management, social sciences, economics, human rights, agriculture, forestry).
- Experience of working in, or closely with, international agricultural and/or forestry supply chains
- Work experience within the SEA region
- Strong leadership and project management skills (including excellent time-management, problem-solving and organisational abilities)
- Highly developed interpersonal and team-working skills, as well as proven ability to operate in a multi-cultural environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Bahasa Malaysia/Indonesia including oral presentation and high-quality report writing
- Proven ability to deliver to tight deadlines.
- Practical experience of working in agricultural or forestry commodities production and supply chain in the SEA region
- Experience and/or knowledge related to sustainability standards, auditing, and certification, in the context of natural resource management (forestry, agriculture, mining, fisheries)
- Familiarity with one or more of the following: climate change adaptation and mitigation, human rights due diligence, regenerative agriculture, conservation and land use planning, or sustainable financing.
- Experience in consultation and engagement with various stakeholders including large companies, small and medium enterprises, NGOs, financing institutions, government agencies, smallholders and local communities
- Familiarity with relevant tools and methodologies related to the sustainable production of agricultural and forestry commodities, such as the High Conservation Value (HCV) approach, High Carbon Stock Approach (HCSA) and Free, Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC).
- Fluency in additional languages relevant to the region such as Mandarin, Thai, Hindi and Tamil.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Send your CV, a cover letter, and your salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: 31st July 2022
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by 15th August 2022
Download the vacancy here
Proforest is an equal opportunity employer.