Sustainability Communications Manager
- Position: Sustainability Communications Manager
- Type: Permanent, Full-time
- Salary: £30,000 - £36,000
- Location: UK or the Netherlands
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Benefits: Proforest is an equal opportunity employer
About the role
We are looking for an exceptional conceptual thinker and communicator with in-depth knowledge and a desire to shape the debate around sustainability in agricultural commodity production and sourcing.
You will have a technical background in agricultural commodity production and sourcing, with a track record in writing and reporting. Alternatively, you may have a background as a technical journalist or researcher with specialisation in sustainability around agricultural commodities, human rights, climate change, development or other relevant field.
The position will be part of the Proforest technical team, reporting to the Director of Programmes and the Director of Communications and will support the Proforest Europe and global teams.
Proforest is a mission driven organisation with a 20-year track record of supporting the transition to sustainable production and sourcing of agricultural and forest commodities. We are a not-for-profit group with a global presence across Europe, Asia, Africa and South America. We work with governments, the private sector and civil society to deliver positive social and environmental outcomes in the places agricultural commodities are produced, ranging from protecting forests to recognising the land rights of indigenous peoples and improving conditions for workers.
Our long-term programmes are supported by institutional funders such as UKAid, the International Climate Initiative (IKI) and the Global Environmental Facility, as well as corporations and foundations. Through our programmes we support multistakeholder collaboration to address systemic environmental and social issues in commodity production and sourcing. Through our consultancy, we work with well-known consumer brands, such as Unilever, Nestle, PepsiCo and Mars, retailers such as Target and Ikea and the world’s largest traders and integrated producers including Cargill, Olam, Wilmar and Cofco.
What you’ll do
We are looking for a conceptual thinker and excellent writer who can:
- Help structure and share Proforest’s thinking on key technical topics. You'll help shape our thought leadership messages for key audiences among policy makers, funders, partners and companies; and translate complex ideas for different target audiences
- Write clearly and concisely, both in long publications (eg briefing notes and reports) and short forms (such as news articles, press releases and blog posts)
- Support the technical team to:
- conceptualise ideas, perspectives, tools and methodologies and communicate them internally and externally
- develop ideas and concepts into concrete funding proposals (for grants and private sector), and
- identify and share the outcomes and impacts of our work, as well as its challenges
- Use your analytical skills and knowledge to draw out the stories behind our data and communicate them in an impactful way
- Help others in the Proforest technical team to produce written outputs in various forms, from developing concepts and structure, to providing editorial support.
- Develop and provide training for Proforest staff on communication with clarity and impact. You’ll support the eLearning team, developing concepts for training modules, and translating complex technical ideas into eLearning material
What you’ll create
You’ll be involved in a wide range of communication processes that will typically result in:
- Thought leadership pieces (working with a technical expert to develop and structure the thinking)
- Technical publications, including briefings, practical guides, step-by-step toolkits, impact assessments and case studies
- Communications pieces for website and social media sharing, including visuals and infographics (working with our in-house designer)
- Imaginative and innovative proposals for grant funding applications and long-term corporate programme funding
- Internal guidance and training materials for the technical team on great communication
What you’ll bring
- Fluency in English
- A track record of excellent writing in different formats for different audiences
- Experience working in responsible sourcing and production of agricultural commodities and/or related agricultural sustainability initiatives
- Analytical skills to identify and emphasise key messages and themes
- Ability to integrate information from different sources and threads to a compelling narrative
- Knowledge of data visualisation, visual language
- Training and eLearning content creation
- Formatting and publishing
- Languages (our institutional operating languages are English, Indonesian Bahasa, Portuguese, Spanish, plus we work in French and Chinese)
Location and salary
- Location: The position will be based in one of Proforest’s European offices, either in Oxford or the Netherlands. You’ll need to be eligible to work in either the UK or the Netherlands.
- The salary will be in the range of £30,000 – £36,000 (GBP).
- The job is offered on a permanent, full-time basis, but part time or contract roles might be considered for the right candidate.
Please send your CV, a cover letter and confirmation that you are eligible to work in the UK or The Netherlands to email@example.com